Reflections on LE#1

The other day I was given a copy of "Creating Thinking Classrooms - Leading Educational Chance for a 21st century world" written by Garfield Gini-Newman and Roland Case of the Critical Thinking Consortium.  Our program team is doing a study of it and really working on looking at what Critical Thinking is.  This is my first year in my role, so maybe that's what they always do, but it isn't what I have always done.

We began in small groups trying to figure out what Critical Thinking really is.  What would a success criteria look like?  One idea that I kept coming back to, over and over in conversation and in my mind, was the meta-cognition piece.  Critical thinking, to me, involves a great deal of reflection on the ideas in your own head.  You can take all of the subject matter you have learned, evaluate it, then critically decide what matters to you and what doesn't.  This is thinking critically about information you are taught.

To me, this blog is my big take away from LE#1.  It has lit a spark in me to look at ideas and philosophies critically to find a deeper meaning for myself.  Once I started using a critical lens, I was able to look at other course material and decide how it would best suit students that I would be working with in my own class (if I had one). 

I am a big believer in student voice and I feel like my own teacher voice was missing.  Blogging was something I thought would be very valuable for my students, but never thought about really giving a shot as an educator.  It's something I truly hope to continue throughout this year and when I return to my classroom as well.  I can already imagine the possibilities.

I look forward to sharing many more ideas in the future!

Mistene

Comments

  1. Hello Mistene,

    Thank you for sharing your Learning Experience 1 Reflection.

    This has been read and is accounted for.


    Best Regards,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Platforms.... and some great blogs.

Blogging as a Reflection

Learning To Learn and my first real blog post!